Tuesday 2 September 2014

I learnt something today.

After two weeks fighting with my daughter over her costume for the school book parade, and her sticking to her guns and not being swayed from the idea of going as a marshmallow, I learnt that she is a very strong, confident little girl.  She's not shy as I had always thought. She's not scared of what people think which her mum can be sometimes. And she knows her mind, which is something we always try to develop in our kids but never quite know how we do it.

I was so nervous for her coming in to today. Her costume was 'strange' to say the least, and to be honest my biggest fear for her was that she would be totally ridiculed by the other kids for looking ridiculous.  But you know what? None of that happened.  She knew it wouldn't, she had faith in her friends, and she knew she could take their comments on board and have any nasty ones run off her like water off a ducks back.  She was perfectly ok with it all.

It was me that had the problem.

And why, I wonder? Why was I so scared for her? Why did I try to force her to conform and tone down her individuality?
Because I do? Perhaps.
Or to protect her from what I have experienced as a tough, unkind world where kids are concerned?

Who knows.

But all I do know is that I'm proud of her, proud of her strength of character and conviction and proud of myself a little too for stepping back and letting us both learn from is experience.
Who knows, next year might even be a happy book week-dress up experience..... But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment