Monday 1 September 2014

Here's my thought for today...

Tomorrow is the school Book Week parade!! And can I just tell you, I hated them when I was a kid at school, and I hate them even more as a parent.

My daughter is going as a marshmallow.  Why? I hear you ask. Well her friend is going as a princess and between them they decided they would go as "A princess and her marshmallow".... I mean seriously, what is that? It's not a book, but could we sway her thinking? NO WAY!

So we have spent two weeks arguing over it, till I left it to my husband and daughter to make something.... And oh dear.  They have made something but I'm just not sure it's good. In fact I'm not even convinced it looks like anything at all, let alone a giant marshmallow.

But how do I tell her that?  How do I tell her I'm really worried that she will be teased and ridiculed tomorrow? How do I break her little heart? I've tried doing the "I'm your mum and it's better I tell you than your friends at school", but all that did was start another fight over it, and we both ended up in tears!

So Ive come to the conclusion there's really nothing I can do except change my own thinking. Stop putting my insecurities on to her, as she loves her outfit and thinks it's great!
I have to change my own mindset.  Let her go with it, and then just be there for her in case it all turns sour tomorrow.  She really did have fun making it with Daddy, so I'm going with that for now.

Fingers crossed it will go well, but I can promise you I won't be sleeping soundly till it's over!!

And that's what this mum really thinks right now.... What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment